Micro CHP specialist, EC Power has signed a deal with E.ON, one of the UK’s leading power and gas companies that will see EC Power’s products offered to E.ON’s public and private sector clients. The deal with E.ON’s Sustainable Energy Solutions business – a team specialising in offering low-carbon technologies – comes at a time when interest in low-carbon micro-generation technologies is at an all-time high. The UK government’s recent Climate Change Bill proposes a reduction in carbon dioxide emissions of 60% before 2050 to help tackle global warming.
“E.ON’s move towards micro CHP is significant”, said Ashley Grist, EC Power UK’s managing director.
“Our company is owned by Europe’s largest energy company, Statoil. Another energy giant like E.ON getting onboard demonstrates that micro CHP has a seat at the top table – alongside other micro-generation technologies.”
Sam Baylis, Head of Sustainable Energy Solutions at E.ON said: “Microgeneration forms an important part of our Sustainable Energy Solutions business and we are delighted to be entering this partnership with EC Power.
“At E.ON we recognise the need for a diverse range of microgeneration, which includes CHP. By working with EC Power and others, we hope that the roll out of this technology will make a significant contribution to reducing UK carbon emissions.”
Micro CHP offers an easy route to meeting the level of emission reductions required by these targets. It simultaneously generates heating, hot water and electricity for use in domestic and commercial applications. As most of the waste heat from the generation process is recovered, the units are inherently ‘green’ as they use much less fuel than conventional technologies.
This environmental benefit increases further when renewable biofuels are used instead of the natural gas or diesel normally used. With a typical system, consumers can expect to save up to 60 percent on their energy bills.
The units are sized to meet the needs of a variety of buildings and applications. Typically, the company’s 13kWe unit produces enough energy to satisfy the needs of 30 flats, a small leisure centre or sheltered housing scheme.
Notes to News Desk
About EC Power
• EC Power, part owned by the giant Statoil Hydro, is the unrivalled market leader in the research, development, manufacture and operation of micro combined heat and power plants;
• EC Power systems are delivering greatly improved energy savings for a rapidly growing number of public and private sector organisations including local authorities, housing associations, hospitals and residential care homes.
• E.ON is one of the UK’s leading power and gas companies – generating and distributing electricity, and retailing power and gas – and is part of the E.ON group, the world’s largest investor-owned power and gas company. We employ around 18,000 people in the UK;
• E.ON is the new name for Powergen. Our retail business is a leading energy supplier in the UK, with around 8 million electricity and gas customer accounts, covering domestic, SME and industrial. E.ON offers central heating and boiler care through its Home Energy Services business;
• For information on E.ON’s Sustainable Energy Solutions visit eonenergy.com/sustainableenergy or call 0800 051 5687.